PIMART Online Course
Pharmacy Initiated Management of Antiretroviral Treatment (PIMART) online course
ABOUT THE COURSE
The aim of the Pharmacy Initiated Management of Antiretroviral Treatment (PIMART) training is to build capacity of pharmacists and pharmacy-based nurses to provide safe HIV prevention and care to clients in the pharmacy setting, and to increase access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and referral services to hard- to-reach and underserved individuals who are unable or unwilling to access care offered by current conventional systems, such as primary care facilities or practitioners.
The PIMART course provides learners with up-to-date HIV prevention knowledge which, subject to the receipt of a section 22A (15) permit from the NDoH*, enables them to prescribe and provide Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP). The training will also enable the prescribing and provision of first-line antiretroviral therapy (ART)* to uncomplicated HIV-infected clients providing they meet the safety criteria for pharmacy-based care or, if not, guidance on referral to an appropriate facility or practitioner.
PIMART is a comprehensive training programme comprising course modules with in-module assessments, a final exam and case-based scenarios and quizzes. Course developers and contributors include South Africa's leading HIV prevention and management expert clinicians and organisations.
The cost of the full course is R4,500 incl VAT (R3,913.04 ex VAT) per applicant**
Discounted packages are available for enrolment of 10 or more applicants.
WHO SHOULD ENROL
Pharmacists and pharmacy-based nurses
REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW OPEN
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information you may require, how to register and discounted group costs.
- 18 Modules with in-module multiple-choice questions (MCQ) assessments
- Final Exam in MCQ format
- 24 Case studies with in-module MCQ assessments for pharmacists / 29 Case studies with in-module MCQ assessments for pharmacy-based nurses
- Masterclass (updated short course) - includes updates on adolescent-specific issues, and counselling and disclosure including Provider Initiated Counselling and Testing (PICT)
EARN CPD POINTS
The course is fully CPD-accredited for 24 CPD points*** subject to an 80% and above pass mark for the exam.
MORE ABOUT THE LEARNING PLATFORM
Easy-to-use digital blended learning platform
Free clinical resources and campaign materials****
Study anywhere, anytime, on any device
Free access to Vula Mobile, a medical referral app that makes it easy for pharmacists, GPs and primary healthcare workers to get advice from specialists.
STEPS TO BECOMING A PERMIT-READY NURSE/PHARMACIST
- Pharmacists will need to complete the 18 training modules, an exam with an 80% pass-rate and 24 case studies.
- Pharmacy-based nurses will need to complete 18 training modules, an exam with an 80% pass-rate and 29 case studies.
- Apply for Section 22(A) 15 Permit* from the NDoH with Portfolio of Evidence (POE) of at least 10 client consultations and doctor supervised PIMART prescriptions. Refer to the Board Notice 101 of 2021 published in Government Gazette No. 44981 dated 13 August 2021 for further information - view here.
- Attend ongoing accredited CPD masterclasses and webinars through SAHCS to maintain professional development
* The National Department of Health has currently paused the issuing of these section 22(A) 15 permits for pharmacists, while considering grievances of a number of general practitioners.
**2022 pricing. Course pricing is subject to change each year.
***CPD accreditation for this course only applies to healthcare professionals registered under the Health Professions Act.
****Courier cost for the delivery of campaign material is for the learner’s own account. Contact email@example.com to request a quote.